Student Consumer Information


FEDERAL Pell Grant:


Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree and have not exceeded the maximum time permitted (150%) to complete the first bachelor’s degree. The institutions at Ana G Mendez University Systems (AGMUS), measure the maximum time permitted according to the program’s duration based on credits.


The Federal Department of Education utilizes a standard formula, established by Congress, to determine students’ eligibility and evaluates the information sent on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) This formula produces the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) The EFC can be found on the right hand side of the first page of the Student Aid Report (SAR) This number will identify the amount from PELL grant that a student can receive according to academic load and Cost of Attendance (COA)


A student may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time. Amounts can change yearly, the amount you get will depend on: Estimated family Contribution (EFC), your financial need, cost of attendance, status as a full-time or part-time student, or if you attended another institution during the same academic year.


  • The Institutions of Ana G. Mendez University Systems (AGMUS), will credit the payment received from PELL grant to the students’ account and will send a check or direct deposit any refunds, if applicable.


  • A student can receive payment even if he/she has a less than ½ time academic load. The payment will be less than a full-time student.


  • A student can receive a retroactive payment from PELL grant for any completed term during the same academic year.


  • A retroactive payment will be process for credits completed; not for dropped or non-present courses.


  • PELL grant has to be renewed yearly, the application is available for all students depending on their academic load. Any registered credits that does not belong to the students’ program are not eligible for payment.




A new regulation effective July 1st, 2012 known as Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) limits the receipt of Pell Grant to a lifetime of up to 6 full time years of studies equals to 600%. Students with a LEU of 600% or more, are ineligible to receive Pell Grant. The student will receive information about his/her LEU after the FAFSA is completed.


Courses re-taken


A student can receive federal or state funds for re-taken courses, even if it was already approved, but one time only. Any re-taken course that does not comply with the information already mentioned, will not be considered as part of the students’ academic load; resulting in a financial aid adjustment.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)


To get an FSEOG, you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students who will receive Federal Pell Grants and have the most financial need (EFC-0) will receive FSEOGs first. The FSEOG does not need to be repaid.


The FSEOG program is administered directly by the financial aid office and is therefore called “campus-based” aid.


You can receive between $100 and $4,000 a year, depending on your financial need, when you apply, the amount of other aid you get, and policies from the financial aid office.


In other words, FSEOG funds are first come, first served. This system works differently from the Federal Pell Grant Program, which provides funds to every eligible student.


So, make sure you apply for federal student aid as early as you can.


Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant


Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant is different from other federal student grants because it requires you to take certain kinds of classes in order to get the grant, and then do a certain kind of job to keep the grant from turning into a loan. The TEACH Grant Program provides grants of up to $3,708 a year to students who are completing or plan to complete course work needed to begin a career in teaching in a public or private elementary or secondary school that offered services to low income families (Title 1 Schools)


If you have any questions or concerns about TEACH, contact the Financial Aid Office of your institution.





As a condition for receiving a TEACH Grant, you must sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve in which you agree to (among other requirements) teach:


* In a high-need field at an elementary school, secondary school, or educational service agency that serves students from low-income families. (Read further to find out more information related)


* For at least four complete academic years within eight years after completing (or ceasing enrollment in) the course of study for which you received the grant.


IMPORTANT: If you do not complete your service obligation, all TEACH Grant funds you received will be converted to a Direct Unsubsidized Loan. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education, with interest charged from the date the TEACH Grant was disbursed (paid to you or on your behalf)


Requirements to participate:


  • To receive a TEACH Grant, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) even though is not necessary to demonstrate financial need.


  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.


  • Be enrolled as an undergraduate, post baccalaureate, or graduate student at a school that participates in the TEACH Grant Program.


  • Be enrolled in a TEACH-Grant-eligible program.


  • Maintaining a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25.


  • Receive TEACH Grant counseling that explains the terms and conditions of the TEACH Grant service obligation. You must complete counseling each year that you receive a TEACH


  • Sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve.


  • Take or plan to take the necessary courses to become a teacher. Some of them may include specific courses (as an example math courses for students that want to become math teachers).


A TEACH-Grant-eligible program is a program of study that is designed to prepare you to teach as a highly qualified teacher in a high-need field and that leads to a bachelor’s or master’s degree, or is a post baccalaureate program. A two-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s degree is considered a program that leads to a bachelor’s degree. A post baccalaureate program is not TEACH-Grant-eligible if it is offered by a school that also offers a bachelor’s degree in education.


Schools that participate in the TEACH Grant Program determine which of the programs they offer are TEACH-Grant-eligible. A program that is TEACH-Grant-eligible at one school might not be TEACH-Grant-eligible at another school. Contact the financial aid office to find out which programs at that school are eligible.


High Need Fields


High-need fields are:


  • Bilingual education and English language acquisition,


  • Foreign language (Not English)


  • Mathematics,


  • Reading specialist


  • Science


  • Special education



If you plan to teach in a high-need field that is included in the Nationwide List, that field must be listed for the town where you teach either at the time you begin your qualifying teaching service or at the time you received a TEACH Grant.


IMPORTANT: Award amounts for any TEACH Grant that is first disbursed after September 1, 2014 must be reduced by 8.9 percent from the award amount for which a recipient would otherwise have been eligible. For example, the maximum award of $4,000 is reduced by $356, (8.9%) resulting in a maximum award amount of $3,644.


During the 2014-2015 academic year, any award amounts for any TEACH Grant that is first disbursed after October 1, 2014 will have a reduction of 7.3% from the original payment. The annual award amount will be $3,708.


TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve


Every year a TEACH grant recipient has to renew the Agreement to Serve (ATS), you can find it at  The ATS contains all the conditions, requirements, and policies regarding this program; including the commitment to repay the grant as an unsubsidized loan if you do not comply with it.


For additional or specific information visit the website or contact your Financial Aid Officer.



Federal Work-Study Jobs


Help students earn money to pay for college or career school. Federal Work-Study provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study.


Here’s a quick overview of Federal Work-Study:


  • It provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school.


  • It’s available to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students with financial need.


  • It’s available to full-time or part-time students.


  • It’s administered by schools participating in the Federal Work-Study Program. Check with your school's financial aid office to find out if your school participates.


  • You’ll earn at least the current federal minimum wage, paid once a month.


  • Community Service (CWSCS) is part of the Work-Study Program, CWSCS allow students to help other students in or outside the institution. They can provide services as: tutors, note takers, and readers among other duties. The areas covered by these services are:


                      - Learning Zone


                      - Reasonable accommodation – Quality of life


                      - Head Start


                      - Sports – Summer Camp


                      - Technology and Science




Eligibility is regulated by the Federal Department of Education, as an example:


Must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)


  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.


  • An undergraduate student needs to have at least 6 credits or more registered per semester.


  • A graduate or doctoral student needs to have at least 3 credits or more registered per semester.


  • To have Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)


  • If you are a male, need to be registered with the Selective Service.


  • Demonstrate financial need.



Enlaces Importantes

Important Links

Contact Us

Submitting Form...

The server encountered an error.

Form received.